cylinder only partially heating at the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the immersion heater on for around 45 mins. Appears that only the top 10cms of the cylinder had heated. The immersion feels warm but not scadling. The water from the hot tap ran cold after 2 mins. Would it be possible that the element in the heater has gone?

Any one with any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Its a external water heater! Would it be possible to replace the element or would it make more sense to replace the entire unit? How much would one cost roughly?

Its a external water heater!
What? :confused:

please describe it or attach some photos

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

A typical immersion heater is replaceable and costs less than £20. The old one might be stuck in place

p1758778_l.jpg

A typical cylinder costs less than £200

p1053465_l.jpg

Fitting and minor parts on top

Sponsored Links
you could be wasting money doing that,i am guessing it is a willis type immersion about 65/70mm dia around 400mm long.if it is connected correctly you should have a 15mm pipe rising from it and teeing back into the vent about 600/900mm above the cly,these were originally designed to give a basin of hot water after about 5/10 mins of being turned on.if yours has not been piped as i have explained you will have to leave it on longer,but be careful as most ni electrians would not of adjusted the stat from 80 degrees.

kin puters :LOL: if you look at the willis site they do have some clever stuff the solar syphon being one that actually works :eek:

the hot water cylinder is fed through the bottom via an external immersion heater. the immersion was on for around 45 mins but the water in the cylinder was only hot about an 1/8 of the way down from the top! when running the hot water tap the water ran hot for around two mins and runs cold, as the hot water had been used up. the immersion heater has been the main source of heat to the hot taps as recently more rads were installed adding increased demand on the ch, reducing the effectiveness of its heating capacity. to me it seems as if the immersion heater is about to pack in cause its warm but not scalding. if this is the case would it be a straight forward job to replace? or would a qualified plumber be required? how long should the job take and therefore how much should i be expected to pay for parts and labour? thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'd be interested to see a photo

how many litres of hot water did you get out after 45 mins heating (2 mins flow does not help as I don't know how good a flow your taps give)

providing its easy to come out drain refit in about an hour.

why do you think adding more rads has reduced the heating effectiveness ?

what system is it ?

simple to replace but time consuming due to the cly requiring draining unless the original installer fitted it right,cost well that depends on who does it bassets in portadown will have the part off the shelf as will aj plumbing.personally i would replace the cly and fit a 27inch immersion thus helping you do your bit for the enviroment and your wallet.i take it your present cly is bare or has a poorly fitted jacket?

this may help those that have never seen or heard of a willis type immersion heater

http://www.willis-renewables.com/immersion-how-it-works.htm

around 10 litres of hot water!

and oil fired boiler working of a one channel time clock. not being a plumber im not well educated on the subject but it appears that the ch heating doesnt warm up the water in the cylinder as well as it used to before the extra rads were installed.

from all of the info above in other posts can it be near certain that the immersion itself is at fault?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back