Cylinder only hot at the top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a weird problem here. I changed a dual immersion recently as only the top of the cylinder was heating. I 'presumed' the bigger of the two elements in the immersion was busted. However, I got a call back to say the same problem was there.
I've checked all the wiring, measured the resistance across both elements and worked out that the immersion IS definitely working fine. From what I can tell, it seems that only the top of the cylinder is heating up and the thermostat is turning it off even when it's set to heat the full cylinder.
There's no leak on the system that's drawing the hot water off the top so I'm stuck.
I've considered wiring it up via an external thermostat on the cylinder. Has anyone else had this problem or suggest any other fix?

Sponsored Links
Hey thanks for the quick response,
Yeah, there's the normal adjustable thermostat preset to 60 deg. and I've subsequently upped that to 70 deg. just to see if I could 'push' more heat down the cylinder but that hasn't done the trick. The safety stat is there too and hasn't been tripping out. It's got 'bath' and sink' connections and a common neutral that runs through the safety stat.
What's really puzzling me is that even when the large element is on only the top of the cylinder is heating up.

Sponsored Links
:oops: I'm not sure if the other one was damaged at all now seeing as the same problem persists. Can't say I noticed any sludge on the old one when I took it out. There doesn't seem to be any discolouration of the water from the taps either so that's unlikely.
The quality of the water in the area is very good and lime is not a problem.
I just checked to see if the central heating pump was on because I figured there might be cold water circulating through the coil and pulling the heat away but that's not it either. I'm totally stumped...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back