cylinder plumbed in reverse ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had a new hot water system fitted with an oil boiler and 2 vented cylinders with indirect heating coils. I suspect the coils have been plumbed in reverse as the pipe at the bottom of the cylinder is much hotter than the pipe in the middle when the boiler is running.

From diagrams I have seen, the hot should flow in at the middle and return out at the bottom?

Is my thinking correct and if so, what is the reason it should be done that way? Am I likely to encounter any problems because mine is running in reverse ?

thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
And the world is flat! Check if it was a mistake if you like but bottom entry for flow is being pushed now as the best way.

Bottom entry heats the water faster - but not a lot. Top entry promotes stratification.

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
Why's that???

return to boiler stays below magic temp for longer. otherwise your boiler drops out of condensing mode once the top the of the coil hits 53c. not really an issue if the coil is sat right at the bottom, but I've seen some cyls where the top entry is half way up it!

Thanks all. It is not a condensing boiler (the heating engineer doesn't rate them and I can see his point) and the main aim is to heat the water as fast as possible so I guess it's the right way around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back