Daft one...can I rig an old pump up to help drain my hot tub?!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got one of those lazy spa jacuzzis which was nice...but every now and again, the water needs changing...I don't like emptying it all over the garden through the bung and there's a nice drain nearby...I have an old CH circulating pump...can I rig it up with some hoses to help drain the water or will it just burn out if it's not actually circulating? (Or not work at all)!

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to use a water butt submersible pump.

Lidl/aldi sell them for £20/30 and they have built in safety

As you suspect a 'Central Heating Pump' is actually a misnomer. A 'Central Heating Circulator' would be more appropriate. They are designed to work in an enclosed circuit, and displace the water inside them, pushing it around sealed loop. They don't create any suction that would enable water to be drawn up into them. Also, the outside of the pump......erm.....circulator is not sealed / designed to get wet or be used outdoors. You would also need to make a stand for it, and wire it up. By the time you have done that the Lidl / Aldi solution will be cheaper.

Sponsored Links
Good point stem - I remember being told as an apprentice that an SMC was just a gravity (thermosyphon) circuit assister;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back