Damage to window seals by crows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have uPVC windows which were installed a couple of years ago. This year, the seals around the glazing have persistently been attacked by crows. I have heard before of crows (and possibly other birds) attacking putty, especially new putty Presumably they find the linseed oil attractive. However I did not expect the seals of new premium grade windows to be persistently attacked.
Most of the upper floor windows have been attacked in this way to such an extent that the seals will have to be replaced. I maintain that the windows should not be constructed of materials attractive to animals, just as I would expect wooden windows not to be attractive to woodworm. I expect the window company will not agree.
Does anyone else have similar experience?
Any solutions?
Thank you.

Sponsored Links
:eek: never heard of that before!..... It sounds vaguely Hitchcock-esque if you get my drift! Anyway, back to your problem. If your windows are only a couple of years old I presume that they are internally beaded i.e. the glass is fitted from the inside. If this is true, the chances are that the beading that is showing on the outside is non-replaceable due to the fact it is co-extruded with the plastic profile at the manufactuing stage. Early generation windows came loose gasketed which us fitters had to manually install before fitting the glass :cry: I really can't think of a way around your problem except damage limitation - Google "Crow/Bird repellant" and see what it throws up.

Thanks. You're right - it is Hitchcock-esque. I've seen and heard the crows doing it. Quite alarming.
I believe the glazing is fitted from the inside but that the seals can be replaced by taking out the glazing units. It's just that I've been quoted a considerable price.
I've heard that vinegar might put off the crows but I've also been wondering about fitting (hopefully temporarily) a pvc strip or white insulating tape over each bead until they forget about it. Don't know if they'll forget though because they've visited on and off all year.
I feel that the windows are not fit for purpose if crows can be so convinced that they are getting something out of it that they return again and again!

Sponsored Links
I'd certainly query the proposed contactors modus operandii, as i stated earlier, the outer gasket is attached to the frame during manufacture and is difficult if not impossible to remove. maybe they propose to cut the offending gasket out and replace with new, or just use glazing tape (a spongey double sided designed for security on exterior glazed) Whatever they propose, ensure you are happy with it and it is fit-for-use - by that I mean as good as or exceeding the original spec - before you part with any of the hard earned. Good luck chap. Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back