Damage to worktop when taking tiles off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help?

Whilst taking the sink splashback tiles off in the kitchen (wall was being knocked through into an extension) the builders damaged the work surface.
Unfortunately some of the damage will be visible once we put the tiles back on, in some places up to 2cm from the edge of the tiles. I have posted a photo in my albums. We cant afford to change the worktops so is there anything someone can recommend that will cover this as normal sealant will look daft if that wide...or will it?

//www.diynot.com/network/hippygirl/albums/

Sponsored Links
You maybe able to repair by using a bit of edging strip the same design as worktop, would need to visit a local kitchen supplier though to match up. But as you say the builders have caused the damage and if this damage could have been prevented, if a little more care be taken, I would suggest it be them that resolved the issue, are they insured?

Hi, thanks for replying.

I spoke to the builders at the time and got a number of excuses. They are insured and I did ask them to sort it out but they insisted that there was nothing they could do and 'I should be grateful that the tiles came off in one piece'!

The work surface came from Howdens, and they dont stock it any more. Unfortunately we dont have any of the matching edging strip. The only thing we thought about using is something like the edging strip used in bathrooms. It is only for the bit along the sink so might not look too bad??

what a lame excuse from them.
stick to your guns and tell them to either carry out a decent repair or replacement.
they obviously quoted for the job in hand,and they knew the problem associated with it,if they have failed to protect any areas then they have to carry out repairs.

what did the quote say about the worktop being in situ to the building works?

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies. I have phoned the builder a couple of times and am struggling to get them to understand. Even though I explained what I needed doing when the builder came round to price up, the quote didn't mention taking the tiles off just taking the window/door out and making good.

I think I am on a hiding to nothing with the builder so am going to have to shell out for a new worktop.

From the pic it would appear to be right next to your sink - given the risk of water ingress I'd be unhappy with patching in the worktop with a bit of edging strip.

However if you really don't want to replace the worktop, have you thought of fitting a decorative bit of trim that covers the damaged section?

a piece of PVC strip, sealed to the worktop and tiles would resolve that. Not ideal, but if you cannot get the builder to replace all the worktops then it may be the best option.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have spoken to the builder again this week and he is still not interested. You are right about the water from the sink and I am being very careful.

I will have a look at decorative strips and if there is nothing suitable I will go down the plastic strip route.

have you paid him yet??
take lots of pics of the damage,work out how much a new worktop will cost plus the fitting,and when your builder presents the bill deduct this ammount from his bill,when he argues with you,say you are seeking legal advice over his damage to your kitchen etc.

Will you be re tiling? As some thick tiles and a bead of silicone might cover it.

Hard to tell from the picture.

Gregers, unfortunately he has been paid as they finished a couple of weeks ago. He is coming back sometime this week to relay a couple of slabs they didn't do properly at the time so I will speak to him again.
He is saying that they stuck the pieces back onto the worktop so he cant understand why I am still contacting him about it.
Xr4x4 Good idea but I am putting the original tiles back on, which is the reason I asked if they could take them off before they knocked out the window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back