Damaged cable - fix or replace?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I managed to drill through a mains cable (idiot I know) over the weekend, which powered the booster in a storage heater. I repaired the wire using a connector block and covered the joint in insulation tape.

First question is will this be a sufficient long term fix (it was a tight connection as there wasn't much slack in the wire) or is it worth replacing the whole cable? Second, is it ok to plaster over insulation tape?

Thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
Screwed connections must be readily accessible for inspection/tightening, so you cannot bury it in plaster.

Best thing to do is to replace the cable.

Replace the cable if you can.

Plastering over a junction means it is no longer accessible hence it is against the regulations.

The internal damage extends a long way inside of the cable and a weakened conductor could become a hot spot.

This is one I did.

The black is soot and copper particles.

blown_cable_2.jpg

Crimp or solder, with sleeving / heat shrink to cover each of the conductors and the earth/ CPC.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. So the cable would have to be replaced right from the plug all the way to the source, where ever that is? That sounds expensive

Think the soldering etc is beyond my capabilities. Would that be a cheaper possibility to get someone in to do that?

ALL connections must be accessible unless they are made by soldering/brazing or by compression tool (crimps). It is best if all joints even those mentioned above are accessible because no joint is perfect but it isn't a requirement.

Insulation tape is not a good enough covering because it dries out, the adhesive fails, it unravels and you are left with exposed joints.

If it is possible then replace the whole cable, if not either leave the connector blocks accessible (cover with a blanking plate or a picture or something.) But if you must cover it over then crimping with heatshrink is the way to go.

I have just damaged a cable in my kitchen for my extractor hood putting in some new shelves :oops: . The cable was black and red. Can I replace the cable even though I would have to use new colours and is this notifyable as I am only replacing what is there? :cry: :?:

IIRC replacing cable for an existing circuit is not notifiable even in a special location. Remember to stick the appropriate label next to the CU to warn people that both color codes are in use.

looking at //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law it looks lke according to the law replacing damaged cable for a single circuit only is not notifiable regardless of location.

Part P is a bit confusing in this regard. Some stuff is notifiable whereever it is. Some stuff is notifiable in special locations, on special installations and in kitchens and some stuff is only notifiable in special locations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back