Damaged concretre gate-post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone successfully rebuilt a concrete gate post ?

Approx normal height 1 M, concrete shattered from 30mm off ground, leaving two reinforcement rods connected to final top end of about 350mm concrete, the gap is 620mm.
I could shutter up using top and bottom existing concrete as guides ... Leaving one side with gap near top to enable infill.
Anyone tried this ?
Otherwise the whole is imbedded in concrete surround need some digging out !!
P

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable, just remember to to make a strong shutter as concrete has a habit of springing shuttering. Also when you fill it, give a few taps all around the shuttering, this will bring the water out of the concrete and give it a good finish, similar to what is achieved when a vibrating poker is used on larger jobs.

Cheers BC.

Any ideas on substitute for 'shutter oil' to prevent the concrete 'fat' sticking to shuttering ?
Am hoping to 'build in a new hole' to take lower gate hinge, short length of brush handle wrapped in paper I thought.
Also drill some holes in 'stub' or 'kicker' remanents of old post at ground, could use 'Uni-bond' and some old useless drills in the holes to aid reinforcement at base joint, where the lower hinge hole must be.

Sounds ok ?

Ta P.

Have used washing up liquid, not the done thing mind you but it does the job.

If you want a really strong job, get some 15mm dowl bars from a engineering firm, drill a deep holes in the stub and resin them in, also you could build theaded bar into the shutter, this would give you some where strong to hang your gates brackets from and allow you to adjust them too using two nuts on each bar

Sponsored Links
Thanks BC.
The upper threaded hanger is in place ok.
The lower one, at the stub, is in good condition, I thought of the piece of brush handle wrappred thick paper such that I could knock it out after the concrete had set, leaving hole for the hanger bolt.
Be ok when shuttered ( post tapers to top .. thin pyramid section ).
Cheers.
P.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back