Gate post suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with a sideway between the two houses which provides access to two other houses. I want to put a wooden gate across the gap between one garage (brick built) and another garage which is prefabricate concrete. I want to avoid attaching anything to the prefabricated concrete garage in case it cracks it and have heard as these often have reinforcing in them it isn't easy to fix to them. The ground is concreted but not good enough to take raw bolts e.t.c

The sideway will be used by builders, tree surgeons e.t.c. I thought of using:

1. Wooden posts - wanted to avoid these as they will eventually rot and want to avoid having to re-concrete them in.

2. Concrete gate posts, was thinking if these get knocked they may crack and so wanted to avoid this. I also thought of using concrete spurs and attaching wood posts to these,

3. Steel posts I want the gates to be 6'6" high and was thinking I need 10" posts to allow for concreting them into the ground. I have had trouble finding these online though. Is this something people just have made to order?
I am also not sure how I can easily attach the wooden gate to the steel posts? I was thinking they need drilling and bolts to attach the hinges to the post.

If anyone has suggestions or advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Martin

Sponsored Links
Whats the span of the gate? Do you mind from which of the two sides its hinged?

When you say the concrete is not good enough to take rawbolts, is that because its a bit thin, broken up, or really very perished?

Do you care what it looks like? Costs?

I wouldn't have a gate of a concrete post, certainly not a concrete fence post.

Gate post doesn't have to be as tall as the gate nesserally.

Daniel

forget the concreting just bolt the wooden post to the brick wall about an inch off the ground then it won't rot.

unless your gate is wider than 4 foot this will be fine.

Whats the span of the gate?
One thing I forgot to mention :oops: . It is 1.3m

Do you mind from which of the two sides its hinged?
Not worried which side it is hinged

When you say the concrete is not good enough to take rawbolts, is that because its a bit thin, broken up, or really very perished?
The ground is a mixture of earth only one side and broken up thin concrete on the other

Do you care what it looks like? Costs?
As long as it looks tidy it doesn't have to look amazing, its more functional than aesthetic.
I did get a quote for £600 for a steel gate with steel posts, a lock and fitted. This seemed quite a bit and I was thinking a compromise would be to use steel posts with a wooden gate and do it myself.
The only issue I have is finding steel posts high enough, I guess people just get a steel fabricator to weld a cap on a square section steel post???

I did try to get other quotes by putting the job on rated people but never got any replies.

Sponsored Links
as r896neo suggests, why not bolt the post to the brick wall?

Hi,

I'm going to use door frame fixings to fix timber to the wall one side and got a 4x4 concrete spur post to attach a piece of 3x4 to for the gate post the other side. I can't fix the post that side to the garage as it is a prefab concrete garage, I don't want to crack the neighbours garage and have heard they are not easy to drill (steel reinforcing in concrete).

I was considering using galvanised steel posts but think this is overkill for a sideway gate.

Now I just need to find a suitable lock for the gate that can be locked one side and opened without a key the other side. But thats another thread :)

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I bought a 7.5 metre length of 60 by 60 steel from a local supplier for £53.60 and that price includes them cutting it into four lengths. I then bought plastic inserts to seal the tops for 52 pence each. My plan is to fill the posts with concrete once the hinges are welded onto them then refit the plastic caps.
Not too expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back