Damaged Polystyrene lining paper . Do I need to remove ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a gradual well overdue refurb with me providing ideas & labour & hubby reluctantly coughing up the cashh. Trying to fill cracks etc & paint.
Cleaning my bathroom today & thought " oh my god all the plaster in my my window alcove is damp " Felt soft when I poked it etc. Could I wait till I was getting a few plastering jobs done. Went back with fresh eyes an hour later.
Soft but not damp. Strange !. THen I realised it was lined with polystyrene. This has now got finger indentations all over. What can I do ? Don't want to take it off if I can avoid it . I want to paint, but on a nice smooth surface. Any ideas please.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would rip the fire hazzard off but if you must keep it you will need a soft filler such as Red Devil OneTime and then sand it with 180 grit silicone carbide paper, NOT aluminium oxide paper, it is too stiff and will rip the surrounding polystyrene

Didnt think Polystyrene lining paper was made anymore due to it being a Fire Hazard along with Polystyrene ceiling tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back