Urgent help pls - to lining paper or not???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Im after some urgent guidance please as Im so confused I think my heads gona explode!!!..............

I want to have my hall, stairs and landing (including ceilings) decorated by a professional painter and decorator. The walls are all just painted at the moment, but they are not very flat or smooth and have some cracks where the plaster has blown slightly. I have had a go at filling the worst of the cracks/blemishes, and have got 3 decorators in for quotes.

One guy said he would lining paper all the walls with 1400 grade paper horizontally, another guy said he wouldnt line any of the walls but just "smooth" them and paint with matt emulsion, and the 3rd guy said he would smooth and paint the worst wall and see what it looked like, and then maybe line it if it wasnt too good?

So now Im really confused - what is the best thing to do - TO LINE, OR NOT TO LINE???!!!

The walls in my house are not great, and do have hairline cracks, so I thought lining paper would be best to cover these?

What do you guys think?

As much info/details as possible would be great, beacause I really want to get this decorating done ASAP!!

Thanks (soory for such a long post!)

Sponsored Links
hello we realy need to see some picutures i have been to some houses that the walls are realy bad and got them looking good without puting lining paper up. i always try not to put lining paper up on walls if it can be helped

i have tryed to message you but need to be on your freinds list, if you can accept i can send you a message with my email so you can send the pictures to me so i can say what is your best option.

all the best carl

Carl, Thanks for that - I have just accepted messages from all users, so it should work now!!

Anyone else have any views in general on Lining Paper Vs No lining paper???!!!
I have been and done a search, and there are so many contradicting views.

I really need to make a decision soon as Ive narrowed my choice of decorators down to 2 (both nice guys), but they need to know if they have the job so they can plan when they are going to start! One guy wants to lining paper it all, the other guy says no!

Oh, just to add, I have 3 young children and no banister going up my stairs, so hands are regularly on the walls if this info makes any difference???

Thanks guys for any help

Sponsored Links
Oh, just to add, I have 3 young children and no banister going up my stairs, so hands are regularly on the walls if this info makes any difference???

It might make a difference to your kids necks if you dont get somehting sorted.

I think option 3 sounds the fairest..the guy who said he wouldnt line may have said it because he cant paper...a lot of dekkies cant.

LOL Zampa!!! Ha Ha!

I know, Its driving me mad too!

I wish I was decisive! I just dont want to make the wrong decision and in 6 months time im having to spend another load of money to get the job done again!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :confused: :confused:

I'm here to make the decision for you. ;)

Line it with 1400 and emulsion it.

Our saviour hath spoken...Lordy lordy!! lol

I think linging to..its a far better surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back