New lining paper shows imperfections.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having taken the old thick wallpaper off the wall, some areas had peeling flaky paint on one wall. I've rubbed it all down and then lined the whole room with 1400 grade lining paper. Thinking it would cover those imperfections, the lining paper has molded through every nook and cranny around the patchy edges of the old bits of paint removed, so those imperfections all appear through the new lining paper! Is there anything I can do to hide those small imperfections showing through the new lining paper without taking the affected sheets off and start again?

I've lined the whole room, but it's only part of a wall that has the problem.

It makes me think what's the point of lining a wall if small imperfections show through. But to make it smooth I now realise painting and decorating is a skill in itself. Please help!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
IMG_1978.JPG
Correct prep on the bare wall would have have been better.

You can use fine surface filler on top of the lining paper, i would suggest you invest in a french filling knife set (which allows more control).

So fill indents, sand back, fill again, sand back, prime the filler and then overcoat the whole room.

French fillers look like

Worth bearing in mind that you can line again on top of the lining paper, providing you do so at 90° to the first layer, i.e. if hung vertically, hang the next layer horizontally, or vice versa.
This can sometimes help hide small imperfections, but isn't guaranteed. It sounds like the thick paper you removed may have been there for a reason.

Correct prep on the bare wall would have have been better.

You can use fine surface filler on top of the lining paper, i would suggest you invest in a french filling knife set (which allows more control).

Funny enough I just bought a set of french filling knives this morning. Thanks for the advice on fine surface filler. The incoming light makes the imperfections really stand and I can see now there are more than when I first looked. I will try the filler onto the paper itself, but as there are so many indents, I may be tempted to carefully remove a few sheets of lining paper and work directly on the bare wall.

As there are so many indents, can I smooth out the filler with a damp sponge?

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't sponge filler.

Go proud with the filler, it dries quite soft and making a block for the sand papering will remove filler surplus quite quickly.

The odd thing about lining paper, is that it's now used as a paintable wallpaper, but the clue lies in the name.

It was designed to line the wall horizontally, prior to the wallpaper going on.

You can go over the wall with a second layer of lining paper, but an easier method is to start in the middle of the first piece you papered on the wall, taking in to account where it'll end up covering the affected area.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 106902 Correct prep on the bare wall would have have been better.

So fill indents, sand back, fill again, sand back, prime the filler and then overcoat the whole room.

French fillers look like

The Poundshop sells them, 4 blade sizes for a quid. There are branded as the Tommy Walsh ones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back