HELP! Lining wallpaper over plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gawd I am fed up. I live in a newbuild (2001). The walls are plastered board (drywall). The previous occupants left the walls in a state with mislined dado rails etc.
I have had to rectify there incompetence. I have rubbed, filled and painted many coats of polyfilla basecoat which isn't cheap and still I am not happy with my bedroom walls.
They look fine but once the topcoat is applied (magnolia) you can in certain light see the imperfections in the wall which is annoying.

When I have the bedside lamp on it does show the imperfections so is my solution 'lining paper?'

If so, what do I have to apply on the surface so that in the future the lining paper was removed it won't take the paint with it!

What preparation to the painted plasterboard is needed? Anymore tips is appreciated :)

Scott (UK)

Sponsored Links
As long as the walls are dry and dust free then the lining paper will go straight on. If the emulsion used was just a normal trade matt with no vinyl in it then it will prob bably come off when you strip the paper next tim eround. If a good quality vinyl matt or soft sheen or silk was used then you have more chance of it staying on for next time. Ive just stripped mine from 5 yrs ago and practically none has come off.
Dont forget though that lining paper is not the "be all and end all" to making a bad wall better, but it does help.

Thanks for the reply.

The walls arent terrible. I think if I persevered with more coats of polyfill basecoat then it will build up to eventually cover the imperfections which as I have said are more noticeable in different lights. Mainly a bedside light will show the imperfections. I don't want to apply the topcoat (magnolia) and lay the carpet and furniture when I am gloing to lay in bed one night with the bedside lamp on and notice these imperfections. It would drive me crazy. The imperfections are in the middle of the wall where a dadorail once was.

So imagine a horizontal line across the room. That is where the imperfections are. So maybe it would be wise to persevere with the polyfill basecoat which of course is a thicker paint to emulsion rather than use lining paper?

Good idea?

Sponsored Links
The imperfections are in the middle of the wall where a dadorail once was.

So imagine a horizontal line across the room. That is where the imperfections are. So maybe it would be wise to persevere with the polyfill basecoat which of course is a thicker paint to emulsion rather than use lining paper?
Good idea?

The basecoat wont hide the imperfections ( tbh I don't know what it does) It would be easier to fill imperfections with Easifill You should be able to get at the sheds. It will fill fine blemishes and sand down easy. Then mist coat the filled areas before final coating. Sometimes its quicker to line though. But as robbie says you still have to fill/sand etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back