damaged render by Double Glazing Firm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently had double glazing fitted. The windows were too big so the fitters knocked off the render around the windows to make them fit, without first asking my permission.

They have repaired the render but after 1 winter it is already crumbling and the look is terrible. The fitters said that they did not fit because the windows coming out had 60mm frames and the new windows were 70 mm frames, therefore the new windows were too big.

The company are not cooperating and will not repair the render to the condition it was in before the windows were fitted.

I believe the windows were measured incorrectly, but has the double glazing firm got the legal right to knock off all the render around the windows without first asking my permission, which they did not.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Sponsored Links
Always a bit of a difficult one this, as the original windows would have the render applied after they were fitted. Therefore the old render has to come off before the new windows go in - in fact its usually necessary to knock a chunk of the render away to take an accurate measurement.
However this should have been made clear to you before the work took place and they should have someone on their team to make good after the work was done.
John :)

Always a bit of a difficult one this, as the original windows would have the render applied after they were fitted. Therefore the old render has to come off before the new windows go in - in fact its usually necessary to knock a chunk of the render away to take an accurate measurement.
However this should have been made clear to you before the work took place and they should have someone on their team to make good after the work was done.
John :)

+1

Sponsored Links
Much like the windows the making good should also have a 10 year guarantee. If the render is coming off they should come back and re do it.

I would hope that they had grinded the right amount of render off around the window, and then filled in the excess gap neatly, instead of 'knocking' it off.

Escalate the issue, I assume the contract was to fit new windows and make good, and they have not made good to an acceptable standard.

Im afraid that the render was knocked off with a hammer and chisel and the work to repair is nowhere near a match to the original.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back