DOUBLE GLAZING FIRMS.............

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( can anyone tell me if there are any cheap double glazing firms around BOLTON or MANCHESTER. i'm looking for the "£1300 for 8 windows" sort of offers, like the many companies in london do. pls help as i am pretty much in need of some windows. thanx.

Sponsored Links
Exchange and Mart used to be helpful, but if they're wearing chaps and stetsons you know what to do !! Your local planning office should be able to advise you on who is acceptable.
But remember round your area to cable tie your hub caps on first !!! ( Or is that the 'pool ?!!) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

No wish to slander their names but we had ours done by safe style.... luckily no money was exchanged as the work was absolutely disgusting and they caused more damage to the house than a bulldozer would have.

may I suggest looking at dooyoo.com before going ahead with anything. People post reports on standards of workmanship etc, well worth a nose.

p.s. do not exchange any cash until you are really happy... also do not sign anything without reading the tinsy wincy small print... they screw you all ways :D

I must have seen thousands of windows put in in my time and I can only say that the "£1300 for 8 windows" type offers can only be an enticement to get you to arrange for a salesman to call. To give you an idea when I am roughly estimating the fitted cost of replacement windows to typical terraced properties in and around London I assume something like £350 to £500 per window. Roughly 50% of that would be materials and the rest labour. Labour costs should be lower in your area, but still you will see how unrealistic these offers are.

Beware doing things on the cheap, you do only get what you pay for. Shop around, get quotes, check work they have done for others, and stick to FENSA registered installers so that they can certify compliance with the building regs.

Sponsored Links
re cheap windows, we paid £12500 for ours from cr smith and after 2 years they faded badly, so expensive is not necessarily good quality.

your not paying for quality, just company overheads

even the guarantee is not honoured by the company.

I would never buy expensive windows and doors again.

beth said:
re cheap windows, we paid £12500 for ours from cr smith and after 2 years they faded badly, so expensive is not necessarily good quality.
Years ago I worked for a Co. in the midlands who supplied the above with excellent quality alloy/uPVC window systems. Sadly it folded in '94. Who supplied him after is anyones guess but maybe kept the "high standard" price for "cheap jack s**t".

I used Coldseal.

I was apprehenive as I had heard all these big firms were poor. However, I paid £1600 for 9 windows - 3 of them were Bays. These guys were cheaper than anyone (even Safestyle couldn't compete when they saw the size of the bays).

One thing I found was all the windows look the same and it's down to the quality of the fitters they use.

good luck

D

PS Windows look great

P.S. Get any bulls++t the salesperson tells you put down in writing, we've learnt by our mistake, beware of Amber in the midlands, they use 'employees' to fit, as in £500, here you go. Told french doors and wide windows had strenghteners all round, not so, unless they're paper. no metal in sight, only the glass keeps it in, and even then we still have one window we can't close and one french door we can't open !!!
Mind, they were good at sinkin' a cuppa, sittin in the van, havin' a tab etc. etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back