Damaged Ring Main Cable

got that EFL, what's your point though ,am I missing something here ? dont see the relevance .regards T.
You said:
testing within the socket would require the conductors to be removed checked then replaced and the socket front put back
She is replacing one of the cables so, probably, doing that anyway.

Sponsored Links
You diagram indicates that the cables are not run in the correct place. They should be vertically, within the boundary of the socket outline.

You should re-route the cables to be within this so-called "safe zone" if you have having to chop the wall to run in a new length.

You diagram indicates that the cables are not run in the correct place. They should be vertically, within the boundary of the socket outline.

You should re-route the cables to be within this so-called "safe zone" if you have having to chop the wall to run in a new length.

I think this is my best option and create joint in the loft space. Just my OCD then to battle as one cable will be red/black the other brown/blue.

Once I've done that, get the sparky in the test and add the new unit. Might keep the costs down a little.

@EFLImpudence PS. Shirley is nick name (done ask) I'm male. ;)

Sponsored Links
PS. Shirley is nick name (done ask) I'm male. ;)

upload_2017-6-5_12-15-46.jpeg
Shirley not. :)

Unless using grid sockets it seems odd to have two cables from the same socket going into the loft from a double socket, it may be that using a grid socket could help you, with a double grid socket (actually classed as 4 units as a socket takes 2 units) you actually have two independent sockets on the same plate, so you can take the ring from both sockets.

Also using a grid system you can have a switch, fuse, and socket in a 4 module plate so you could turn the loft supply into a fused spur and keep one wall socket so you do not need to run any new cables.

Unless using grid sockets it seems odd to have two cables from the same socket going into the loft from a double socket, it may be that using a grid socket could help you, with a double grid socket (actually classed as 4 units as a socket takes 2 units) you actually have two independent sockets on the same plate, so you can take the ring from both sockets.

Also using a grid system you can have a switch, fuse, and socket in a 4 module plate so you could turn the loft supply into a fused spur and keep one wall socket so you do not need to run any new cables.
Well that doesn't make a simple repair any easier, does it?

Thanks for the assistance guys. If time permits I think I'll do all the donkey work and then get the sparky in to test it all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back