inaccessible ring main junction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A previous occupier has cut into the ring main under the floorboards and connected 2 separate spurs using a jb. It's a dangerous set up that can't be allowed to remain. The ring main cable has no flexibility in it. I can put a socket on the wall in a different place to replace one of the spurs (fused outlet) and then half of the ring main can be connected to it, making it part of the ring. I can then run a new cable from that. I will then be left with the other end of the ring cable and the end of the other spur (going to the floor below, through the wall). Would it be correct if I used a maintenance free junction box to reconnect the ring main and run the other spur from?

Sponsored Links
If the junction is to remain inaccessible then you can install MF junctions.
Cannot quite get my head around what you are proposing to do with the circuit, sound like you are installing or altering spur.
I personally would extend the ring, rather than install or alter the spur.
Sounds like you are having to deal with lengthening the circuit and have access to the junction anyway, so it would/should not be too much extra work to extend it.

I assume you have identified the circuit correctly and have the required test equipment to undertake the task at hand?

Cannot quite get my head around what you are proposing to do with the circuit, sound like you are installing or altering spur.
If I'm interpreting everything correctly, it sounds as though somebody has previously tried to add two spurs from the ring but has left the ring broken, i.e. just cut the cable and used a JB on each cut leg to extend to the new wiring, effectively turning the ring into a two-branch radial from the MCB.

If that is true, it would be a case of running a cable between the two spurs and tidying up the existing junctions with MFs

Sponsored Links
They have cut into the ring main, without severing the wires (apart from the earth, which the have cut and joined). They have then opened the wires so that they could connect a jb to it. Then they have connected two more cables to the jb run as spurs. One of the spurs is fairly close to the jb and the other goes down inside the wall to the hall below. Both of the spurs are needed, the fused spur serves 2 lights in an extension and the other feeds a freezer in the extension.
I could chop the r/m cable at the jb and move the fused spur. I could then feed one end of the r'm into the fused unit and connect a new cable and run it to join up with the other end of the severed ring main cable.
Can I connect the two ends of the r/m cable (the existing end and my new installed end) with a m/f jb . That then leaves the freezer spur cable coming out of the wall for a length of about 300mm which I could join into the jb??

They have cut into the ring main, without severing the wires (apart from the earth, which the have cut and joined). They have then opened the wires so that they could connect a jb to it.
So the except for the earth, the ring conductors were just dropped into the typical round JB terminals uncut? There's nothing wrong with that, and it was a common (even recommended) method at one time.

Can I connect the two ends of the r/m cable (the existing end and my new installed end) with a m/f jb . That then leaves the freezer spur cable coming out of the wall for a length of about 300mm which I could join into the jb??
If it is not practicable to complete the ring final between the two spurred outlets, then the solution above would be a fair one.
If the new cable to/from the FCU is buried in the wall, then with regards to the regs, it would likely require RCD protection, if none exists on the circuit.

So the except for the earth, the ring conductors were just dropped into the typical round JB terminals uncut? There's nothing wrong with that, and it was a common (even recommended) method at one time.
I don't know about anyone else, but I still do it if I want to 'Tee-into" a cable - no point in cutting the L & N conductors unnecessarily!

Kind Regards, John

I don't know about anyone else, but I still do it if I want to 'Tee-into" a cable - no point in cutting the L & N conductors unnecessarily!
Yes, I would still do that when appropriate. And sometimes you might want to run some of the conductors straight through the JB without even dropping them into terminals, e.g. using a JB on a lighting circuit and running a 3-core to 2-way switches with the travelers passing straight through.

Sometimes I leave the cable uncut too, particularly if the cable is large - it saves room in the terminal if it's otherwse going to be a struggle.

Also use that method if very little slack in the cable.

Yes, I would still do that when appropriate. And sometimes you might want to run some of the conductors straight through the JB without even dropping them into terminals, e.g. using a JB on a lighting circuit and running a 3-core to 2-way switches with the travelers passing straight through.
Sure, and I often do that too. Indeed, apart from JBs, in the (fairly unusual) event of an 'in-line' lighting switch, I will leve the neutral uncut, rather than unnecessarily cutting it and joining the cut ends in a bit of connector block!

Kind Regards, John

Cheers, knowing that it is an acceptable method will make life easier.
Sparkright. One of the problems is that there is no slack on the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back