Damaged Shower Enclosure Glass Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Spent the weekend carefully removing my quadrant shower enclosure to allow me to re-grout the walls. While I was cleaning one of the doors it slipped out my hand on to the concrete drive with the inevitable result of chipping the edge, slap bang in the middle of the end of the glass door. It hasn't chipped right through but has taken what I would describe as a 'scallop' the size of a 2p piece from the front side of the glass.

Whilst my wife is happy that it won't be that noticeable I'm conscious of all the car windscreen adds stating that a chip can soon lead to a crack!

So my question is, is this chip likely to lead to futher damage if I re-assemble it? I don't want to spend £200 needlessly, replacing the whole enclosure (it's 4 years old and I can't source a replacement door) but I don't want to have to take it all apart again soon after assembly, or worse still someone getting hurt by it.

Any of your expert opinions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nick

Sponsored Links
I think it would have broken when you dropped it if it was going to go, if it's sharp you can polish the edge with a glass file.

Thanks Foxhole, although I only dropped it about an inch so not entirely convinced. Might give it a gentle tap with a mallet and see how it goes!!

Sponsored Links
Guys, many thanks for the replies. Gonna go with it and keep my fingers crossed!
Thanks again.
Nick

Many thanks Masona, will look at the various links and check it out.
Forgot to mention before but my first thought was to call the insurance company. Unfortunately I was 'too honest' and told them it happened in my driveway (which runs down the side of the house) and they said I wasn't covered. Anything meant for use indoors isn't covered once it moves outside. A warning for us all, thanks Direct Line!!! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back