Damaged stramit / strawboard needs skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am currently re-decorating my bathroom, which includes moving the bath. Where the bath has previously been I plan to tile the walls from floor to ceiling.

Today, however, when I ripped out the old bath I was concerned to see that at some point since it was first installed water has leaked down the side of the bath butted up against the wall and caused some plaster to fall off, as well as cause the cardboard covering on my stramit / strawboard wall to deteriorate.

The damaged part is actually completely dry and it seems that the previous owner of the house must have realised water was getting between the bath and the wall and squirted as much silicon sealant as they could get their hands on into the gap.

If I remove the obviously loose bits of plaster / fragments of cardboard etc., will it be sufficient to reskim the damaged area and then put the new tiles up? At present, the surface of the wall feels ever so slightly bouncy, which to those familiar with stramit / strawboard, will probably know is because the straw has been decompressed.

Due to the solid-block like nature of strawboard (i.e. one side is the bathroom wall, the other is the bedroom wall), unlike a stud wall which can be repaired fairly easily, I am reluctant to have to replace the entire wall to repair a fairly small (1ft sq) patch of damage.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Russ

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back