Damaged to significantly weakened the webbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Today I failed my MOT, among other failures (which were rectified at the centre) one failure was about the seat belt. Although I am familiar with some wording on the MOT report, I cannot fully understand what it means. The wording is "Offside front seat belt damaged sufficient to significantly weakened the webbing" they kind of explained it to me, but I didn't fully grasped what they meant. What exact part of the seat belt do i need to replace?

The car is a Peugeot 206 2002 LX.

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
This is the only problem left to pass the MOT which could not be done at the center.

Thank you Burnerman.

I heed your advise, however I'm still as confused as I was when I left the MOT center and after vigorous amounts of researching of what I can do. What I can legally do.

The specific failure was part 5.2.2a.

A seat belt:
a.
cut or damaged sufficient to obstruct correct operation of the belt or significantly weaken the webbing
b.
stitching badly frayed, not secure or incomplete.

Can I purchase a universal 500/15 replacement and fit it myself, or would I need to speak with a Peugeot dealer to amend this?

Sponsored Links
In principle you can replace anything on your car yourself, be careful with any pre-tensioner that might be fitted though.

Nozzle

Nothing to stop you fitting a new belt yourself - you won't need to touch the pre tensioner (thats the bit down by your side that the belt clips in to).
They aren't particularly expensive (I'd never fit one from a breaker though).
Any doubts, get one from your Peugeot dealer, which will be exactly the same as original.
John :)

I'd simply drive to the nearest breakers with my car in and get one from them, usualy about £10-15.

But if the seatbelt is frayed then its worth it to save your life.

(And that opens up a whole new discussion lol)

You can't (well shouldn't!) use a "universal" belt. They are vehicle-specific. (In fact, they can even be seating position-specific)! Certainly, there are no parts of the belt itself that can be replaced. It's a complete assembly or nothing. Whether you go for new from a dealer or a second hand one from a scrapper is the only choice, I think. They're a bit like crash helmets or lifejackets though. You'll probably never need it so it won't matter if it works or not, but if you DO ever need it....

Sponsored Links
Back