Damp advice needed ☹️

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't really know alot about damp and have done some research online but havn't been able to find anything.

The damp is along the full side if the house. It's feels like a hard salt on the bricks.

Could anyone give me advice on this type of damp?

IMG_20161022_115529.jpg
IMG_20161022_115519.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the base of the wall is wet up to the dpc which I assume is at that point.
The water is evaporating outwards and is leaving behind dissolved salts from the water.
The fact there are salts suggests it's not damp splashing up, but soaking up the bricks.
If that's all that's happening, check the floor void for any water leaks or standing water, but if the dpc is doing its job then you needn't worry.
Are you seeing any issue or are you just concerned?

I can't see any issues inside the house, just thought it could cause a problem in future. Some of the bricks above the damp course do seem to be changing colour...

Presuming that you've got cavity walls there might be debris inside the cavity which is bridging the DPC - to know for certain you would have to remove a few bricks.
If you do peer into the cavity then check the condition of any cavity insulation.
Is the floor behind the wall solid?

Sponsored Links
Ok great, I'll see if I can have a look inside. With regards to the floor, yes the floor is concrete.

Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back