Damp advise please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help advise me on a damp issue..

The property is an upstairs purpose built maisonette.

The stairs are inside the property and are concrete. The inside walls in this area are plaster and painted, the outside wall is pebble dashed.

Originally the stairs would have lead up to a front door to enter the property.

The previous owner changed this and the front door is now at the bottom of the stairs and the top is open.

The moisture level, taken inside the stair way, in the flank wall is high and resulting in black damp mould growth. We did re-plaster and paint however the mould has started to return.

Any ideas how to treat this? Is it just a ventilation issue do you think?

To the un-expert eye, me, it seems to be condensation damp where the hot air from the house is condensing on the walls and causing damp.

The only other one point is the maisonette downstairs has a boiler flu outlet on the same flank wall, it seems to be on a lot. Could the damp from this outlet be penetrating the pebble render/brick and into the inside wall?

I had a ‘damp expert’ come to look and he suggested a very large expensive machine ( Remcon unit) which seems crazy over kill for a 2 bed small maisonette.

Thanks for any help / advice appreciate it :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back