Damp around fire place - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

So I lifted up the laminar flooring in the dining room of my 1920s house the other day to find damp rotten hardboard underneath around where a fire place used to be.

This is my first house and due to a really negligent surveyor (I'm taking legal action at the moment), I've already sunk a fortune into the property and really don't want to start spending a load more money that I don't have!!

It's a ground floor room and the old chimney that is on an external wall is ventialted in two places and covered correctly at the top. There is no evidence of rising damp at all as the skirting and plaster are bone dry. There are central heating pipes nearby, but I really don't think these are the cause of this problem as the damp seems to be a perfect rectangle.

The room's flooring is hardboard (5mm) lay on top of floor boards which then seem to have been painted with a black bitumen paint underneath and then sit on top of joists that are sunk into a concrete base.

The damp is a perfect rectangle around the fireplace, and when I removed the hardboard here, I found that this particular patch is hardboard sat on top of a stone/concrete hearth (I think it might be slate) and the floor boards surrounding by approxiately 6" of this are also really damp and rotten.

There is another very small patch of hardboard in the middle of the room that looks slightly darker, but when i cut the patch of hardboard out, the wood underneath looked fine, so I suspect this may be discolouration due to a previous spillage.

I suspect that the source of the problem may be the lack of damp proofing of the stone hearth before covering it and therefore, I am intending to put membrane over this before replacing the damaged floorboards and hardboard. However, I'm concerned that I might be missing a more sinister problem that I need to deal with and was wondering if anyone has any experience of a similar problem, or has any other ideas of what could be causing the damp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Have you external inspected what's left of the chimney stack?

Might water be getting in via non existent flashing, lack of pointing or something similar.

Have you external inspected what's left of the chimney stack?

Might water be getting in via non existent flashing, lack of pointing or something similar.

Thanks for the response Chri5 :D

Chimney stack looks fine, correctly ventilated and has been well covered at the top. I think that it's coming from the ground. I spoke to my neighbour (not attached), and he had a similar problem. He seems to think that there is no damp proof membrane below the fire place as the fire would keep it dry, and that the hearth is laid straight onto hardcore and soil (seems a little wierd to me to leave a small gap in the DPM). He suggested just pulling out the slate digging down a bit a painting with a DPM emulsion and then replacing the wood and forgetting about it. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Sponsored Links
FWIW: It sounds like a nonsensical approach.
If this is an important issue to you , then why not go to the trouble of taking some pics and posting on the building forum, the proper venue for this kind of question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back