Damp below window + gap in UPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We live in a first floor flat and I noticed today that there's quite a lot of damp below our bay window. I had a look at the window and noticed that firstly there was some water pooled inside the frame itself, and secondly, that on the outside, some of the upvc seems to have come away from the frame and moss is growing. However I'm not sure if that would directly result in water flowing down in to the wall itself. In terms of fixing it, what would the approach be?

I'm also not sure why there would be water pooling in the frame, so if anyone had any advice on that too, it would be appreciated. I've attached some images, thanks!

Attachments

• InkedPXL_20221107_180205344.jpg
    InkedPXL_20221107_180205344.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 66
  • InkedPXL_20221107_180219481.jpg
    InkedPXL_20221107_180219481.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 72
  • InkedPXL_20221107_180235022.jpg
    InkedPXL_20221107_180235022.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20221107_181026869.jpg
    PXL_20221107_181026869.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert but had similar issues with some windows.
Water in the frame is expected, you have drainage holes in there.
In theory, this exits and out under the upvc external sill.
For whatever reason, the frame water (or wind driven rain outside) is draining down your cavity wall/onto the brick.
Maybe wind driven rain, maybe poor install, maybe blocked drainage channel, maybe internal sill end cap not on.

Have a look on YouTube for leaking upvc windows

Image number one, the slot exists to let water out through the front of the frame. You will find corresponding holes in the side hung sash.

The rubber seals on uPVC double glazed units let some water seep in. The holes in the bottom of the sash allows that water to drip down to frame, and then out of the slot in image one.

Image 2- where the plastic lug is- I am guessing that is where the water drips out. If it is blocked, the water will build up. I would prise off that cap and make sure the path is clear. They are normally just push fit.

A tiny amount of pooling water is not an issue.

Sponsored Links
I'm not an expert but had similar issues with some windows.
Water in the frame is expected, you have drainage holes in there.
In theory, this exits and out under the upvc external sill.
For whatever reason, the frame water (or wind driven rain outside) is draining down your cavity wall/onto the brick.
Maybe wind driven rain, maybe poor install, maybe blocked drainage channel, maybe internal sill end cap not on.

Have a look on YouTube for leaking upvc windows

Image number one, the slot exists to let water out through the front of the frame. You will find corresponding holes in the side hung sash.

The rubber seals on uPVC double glazed units let some water seep in. The holes in the bottom of the sash allows that water to drip down to frame, and then out of the slot in image one.

Image 2- where the plastic lug is- I am guessing that is where the water drips out. If it is blocked, the water will build up. I would prise off that cap and make sure the path is clear. They are normally just push fit.

A tiny amount of pooling water is not an issue.

Hey thanks for the replies. If the water in the frame isnt much of an issue, how about the gaps around the frames which seem to have lost their sealant? It does seem like quite a lot of damp for some relatively small gaps so not sure how likely it is that it's really the culprit.

Thanks in advance

Looking at the state of the window sill, it may be water ingress above or below the beading at the bottom of the frame.

I would recommend that you get some rags and solvent based uPVC cleaner to clean the beading/silicone, so that you can see what is going on.

First things first , clean all the existing sealant off and reseal ... that sealant has clearly seen better days! looks like Its lifting on the external cill for one so that certainly won't be helping, and reseal that trim at the bottom, obviously cleaning it first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back