Damp carpet on an interior wall, but no leak ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a damp patch on 2 interior walls in the living room. When a paper towel is placed on it we bring up a slight wet patch on it. The 2 walls that have this problem are not connected as a door to the kitchen is in the middle. I have had a plumber check for leaks but no pipes to leak, he lifted the floor boards & no water underneath. The water is not surface water only damp on the surface of the carpet, the underlay is dry, and no peeling of wallpaper or wet skirting boards. I currently have a small portable de-humifidifier plugged in which is collecting water. about 100ml after 16 hours. thanks

Sponsored Links
is there a leak through the ceiling above?

is there condensation e.g. on a window?

you mentioned walls and carpet. Is the damp appearing on the wall and then soaking into the carpet?

what is on the other side of the wall? Sink, shower, pipes? If appliances, what are they? Drier, washer, fridge? What is the floor on the other side of the wall?

what shape is the damp patch, and how high?

post some pics //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=129539

Sponsored Links
No there is no leak from the ceiling or the neighbouring room (which is a room under the stairs with no water pipes in)
Yes a little condensation on the window when we have had the heating on.
The damp is only on the carpet not affecting the interior walls at all. (sorry I put walls meaning the carpet to the wall but damp is only on the carpet)
On the other side of the wall is a small room under the stairs, with no appliances only elec & gas meter & fuse box. We store ironing board, hoover etc in there - no water appliances.
Damp patch on the carpet spreads about 18 inches along the skirting board to about 5 inches depth.

Will post some pics tomorrow.

thanks

Sounds exactly like we have. What happens in our house is condensation builds up on Kitchen window, esp during night when heating is lower, water builds up on sill and drips off. By the morning feels damp but quite often we don't notice the water on the sill as it followed the lines of the grout on the tiles.

Could be that?

We've bought a small wall mounted convector heater with a stat on it, seems to have sorted that problem.

Thanks Poddy, in my case it cant drip off anywhere like a window sill as its an interior wall or its not coming from a ceiling, I suppose it could be condensation. The damp patch was happening before the heating was on !!!!!! so its been there in the recent cold, dry, & wet weather we have had. we are totally baffled.

picturespicturespicturespicturespicturespicturespicturespicturespictures!

I'd suspect a water or waste pipe. Most usually a downpipe wetting the wall. Overflowing gutters often make walls wet too. But it could be a water or radiator pipe chased into the wall.

there is a rare chance that water may be getting into a cavity wall above and running down inside the cavity.

I would be pulling the wallpaper off to look at the shape of any damp patch.

Or it might be a puppy or small boy.

he lifted the floor boards & no water underneath.

So this is a timber floor?

If the damp is continuous along the skirting edge, and then petering out into the room (as per the flex) then it is coming from the wall. Condensation or rising.

Thanks. When you say rising - do you mean rising damp, and what do I do to correct it.
Do in need a new damp course !!

I'd suspect a water or waste pipe. Most usually a downpipe wetting the wall. Overflowing gutters often make walls wet too. But it could be a water or radiator pipe chased into the wall.

there is a rare chance that water may be getting into a cavity wall above and running down inside the cavity.

I would be pulling the wallpaper off to look at the shape of any damp patch.

Or it might be a puppy or small boy.

There is no pipes in the interior wall.
However I have just had my gutters cleaned out from the exterior walls of the house. would that affect an interrior wall. and no damp patch on the wall - just the carpet edging.

& no animals or kids.

thanks for your replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back