Damp spot in suspended floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am am slowly re-vamping a recently (2006) , poorly, converted flat in an ex childrens hospice. The building is split into 4 duplex apartments, ours is the ground and lwr ground floor, we have completed the downstairs which has consisted of levelling a bitumen floor, removal of stud walls and redecoration. We are currently working on replacing the kitchen and leveling the suspended floor (ground floor). When we first moved in, in March we had the carpets shampoo'd as temporary measure which dried out pretty quick, since then i have noticed a dark patch in the living room carpet (ground floor) i have always assumed this patch was spilled wine or general dirt as we have not really been too precious over the old carpets, i lifted the carpet local to the stain and found that the the underlay was damp. Because this floor was a joisted above the basement i assumed this cant be damp, so must be moisture left over from carpet cleaning, and there is no damp spots in the ceiling below. Since i had had the carpet peeled back the wet spots in the floor boards have not dried out despite having a de-humidifier running through the day, infact on wet days the carpet stain grows in size. I cant understand where the moisture is coming from and if its damp why im not seeing any damp spots in the ceiling below. One thing i have noticed that the wet spots seem to eminate from the underlay staples and underlay tacks, not sure if this is relevant. Im hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on why this might be happening as i cant fit a new carpet until this is resolved. I plan on lifting the boards in the lounge once the kitchen is done so hopely this may revele a few things. Hope someone can help

Rob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back