Damp Smell in Living Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 60's bungalow with solid concrete floors. There have never been problems with damp. For the last 2 or 3 years there has been an elusive smell in the living room, but only in summer during dry weather. I'm pretty sure it's the smell of damp concrete or plaster. There is no water ingress from outside and no pipes under the floor.

I've put my weather station that measures atmospheric humidity in the room -similar reading to the other rooms. I've been over the walls and ceiling with a damp meter, zero reading. No peeling paint or mould anywhere. In desperation I've lifted part of the carpet. There is no damp in the carpet or underlay, but a very low reading on the damp meter in parts of the concrete floor. The reading is very low, within acceptable range, but I'm wondering if this could be causing the smell.

I'm running out of ideas. Would it be worth lifting the carpet and coating the concrete floor with a liquid DPM? Advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
wilfster, good evening.

Looks as if the solid floor + carpet is has a high probability of being your source.

What may ??? be occurring is that in Summer the relative humidity rises, i have been watching my Hygrometer [part of a "multi-Function clock"] rise by about 10 Points.

The higher R/Humidity rise could possibility cause a form of condensation to form on the [at night] coldest area of the room, the floor??

One consideration?? may or may not work??? beg borrow or get a De-Humidifier and run it in the offending room with the door, and window closed ??

No magic fix, just a consideration???

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back