Damp Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I rent out a property which is an old weavers cottage and have been doing so for 7 years. It is a 2 up 4 down end property with the lower 2 floors backing on to earth. The upper floor that backs on to earth has no issue with damp etc.

The bottom floor is the issue room, and is used as a bedroom. When we lived in the property we had no issue with damp, condensation etc, as we kept the windows open and the fireplace unblocked. However the last 2 tenants have complained of damp. I bought a dehumidifier and this seems to draw a lot of moisture from somewhere, up to a litre over the last 2 days!

I have today pulled back the carpet and the carpet underlay is wet through around the external 'cold walls' the internal and window wall carpet area is dry. When we bought it, our builder checked for a DPM and we found it (undamaged), beneath the concrete. I am at a loss as to whether its rising damp (no wall signs of damp), or condensation and what to do next.

I have laid a piece of clear plastic tight to the floor today, but apart that

painting on a DPM solution (2 coats) or use a DPM sheet, then an underlay and wood floor. fitting a vent into the wall (has trickle vents in the window), but at what height, or taking the floor up completely and starting again.

Personally I had alway felt it was because its an old house (300 years old), and the tenants were not heating or ventilating the room properly, but not so sure now.

Help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back