Damp cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with a damp cellar in a property i rent out. It has previously filled with water up to 6 - 12 inches so to combat that I had a sump and pump fitted. My tennants that are currently moving out have complained that it's still damp although they have left a load of stuff down there rotting that got damp before i fitted the sump/pump which isn't going to help with the smell. I haven't had chance to get in to have a proper look yet, in theory I would have thought the pump would have worked and got rid of any moisture or should i be looking at better ventilation in there (there is currently one air brick). I don't have the funds for tanking and currently the damp is starting to rise. Anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
Increase ventilation, add a proviso within the TA that the cellar is damp and uninhabitable and is effectively excluded from of the property to be used and that you will not be liable for any loss or damage to property stored in it. Or put a padlock on the door.

I need a bigger air brick then! Obvioulsy the damp is rising into the house though causing problems so need to get that sorted

Well if ventilation isn't enough then tanking is necessary. Or maybe some further investigations in the local vicinity are required to establish if there is a leak underground or similar.

Sponsored Links
Surely the pump should take away any moisture though. Any ideas who I speak to about leaks?? Local water authority?

As above. You have to establish the cause of the significant 6" to 12" flooding?

1. Where does your water mains enter the property? What material is the service pipe - lead, plastic, galvanised or copper?

2. Does moisture weep down the walls of the basement?

3. Is the basement floor concrete with a membrane?

4. Are there any gullies or drainage pipes outside at ground level?

5. Are you on a hillside?

6. Any history of flooding in the area?

7. Do neighbour's cellars flood?

Thanks for the replies, I've answered the questions as best as I know below. Not sure what to do next other than get someone in to look at it

As above. You have to establish the cause of the significant 6" to 12" flooding?

1. Where does your water mains enter the property? What material is the service pipe - lead, plastic, galvanised or copper?
Not sure on this one, will have to investigate.

2. Does moisture weep down the walls of the basement?
Yes I think it does

3. Is the basement floor concrete with a membrane?
It is concrete but i'm not sure there's a membrane on it

4. Are there any gullies or drainage pipes outside at ground level?
Don't think so

5. Are you on a hillside?
Yes it is, and its probably the first house with a cellar towards the top of the hill.

6. Any history of flooding in the area?
No flooding history

7. Do neighbour's cellars flood?
Yes the neighbours cellar has flooded at least once that I know of

1. the mains often enters near the internal stop-tap.

2. Sounds like penetrating ground water.

3. The membrane is located under the slab to prevent rising moisture.

5. Thats significant and ties in with #2.

7. Seems like you have ground water coming down the hill and penetrating into your basement.

8. Could be an expensive proposition to do a proper job - work would be needed inside the cellar (tanking etc.), and a dig out and further work on the outside of the cellar walls.
If its an old property then often the brickwork is perished and will need replacing.

Please come back if you need any further suggestions.

Thanks for the replies although not exactly what I wanted to hear. Any idea how much tanking a small cellar is??

No. No idea.

Tanking and sump pumping alone might not work - depending on the ground water pressure, and the state of the brickwork below ground it might need outside "tanking" and drainage.

The sump pump is to remove water in the sump - not to remove moisture from the air.
For that you would need some big dehumidifiers (needing daily emptying or feed them into the sump so that that pump removes the water they output).

Add a fan to draw air through the cellar & out.
Get down there & remove the damp crap that the moisture & the mould will be clinging onto.

I too had a flood some year back, I now have a big dehumidifier down there & a vent - its a lot better.

A sump pump on it's own won't deal with basement damp. The walls and floor will be saturated too, so ventilation won't do a thing either.

You need it tanked, or a drained cavity system fitted.

Nothing else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back