Damp Chimney / incorrect flashing?

As noticed in the other thread someone mentioned the flashing is the problem and I agree.
You will have to get up there and lift the back gutter flashing and the tile course above the back gutter, and see if the roof felt is arranged properly then re-set the felt, the back gutter and the tiles.
With those tiles soakers are needed at the chimney stack sides not extended cover flashing.
Take a hose pipe on the roof and water test everything as you go.
The pointing is a bit of a red herring. Its bad but its not the problem.
Thanks @tomm12 and @johnny2007 appreciate your comments.

I understand what needs to be done for the soakers, but so I’m crystal clear, can you clarify how the back gutter should be done differently? Am I right in thinking the changes required are to:
1) be angled so that water flows off it to the side
2) have tiles coming further over it
3) have the mortar removed from behind it?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
See the 2nd picture in post #4 where I marked a red line.
It looks like that is mortar when in fact it should be tiles overlapping the lead back gutter (that's how that large piece of lead forming a valley is called).
So water would run off the tiles and onto this valley (the lead back gutter), then it would run off the sides onto tiles further down.
Instead it looks like (and I might be wrong) that they used mortar to bridge the gap between the last tiles and the back gutter.
Mortar is permeable, so it will inevitably let water under the lead and cause the dampness.
Hope I've explained it clearly.

See the 2nd picture in post #4 where I marked a red line.
It looks like that is mortar when in fact it should be tiles overlapping the lead back gutter (that's how that large piece of lead forming a valley is called).
So water would run off the tiles and onto this valley (the lead back gutter), then it would run off the sides onto tiles further down.
Instead it looks like (and I might be wrong) that they used mortar to bridge the gap between the last tiles and the back gutter.
Mortar is permeable, so it will inevitably let water under the lead and cause the dampness.
Hope I've explained it clearly.
Thanks yes that's makes sense - really appreciate everyone's guidance

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back