Damp chimney wall below ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read quite a few discussions on a similar problem and i am aware of the various diagnosis given as to possible causes. Apologies for elaborating a little but thought to give as accurate description of the problem as i could so that the experts can thankfully help give a more definitive solution.

This is a detached house with 3 separate chimneys all of which are on external walls.

The problem is confined to the chimney wall which starts in the kitchen above what used to be an old range cooker (i believe this has not been in use for many years now) and extends through the bedroom above it (no chimney breast in the bedroom) and through the pitched roof, the chimney outer wall is flush with the outer face of the room's external wall.
i.e the chimney projects wholly inward from the external wall.

The problem is damp on the chimney wall in the bedroom. Yellowish to brown discolouration on the wall paper with the plaster disentegrated behind . Damp meter readings went off scale. The affected area is confined to the top 0.5 metre below the ceiling and extends the full width of the chimney wall. In addition a strip no more than 100mm wide of the ceiling adjoining the wall is damp for the same width. Damp readings outside this area dropped off to below 0.6% (on a scale of 0.2 to 2) which I believe is within the norm.

The chimney stack above the roof appear to have been capped off with half round ridge tile bedded in cement. The inlet in the kitchen has also been capped off with cement. There is no sign of any introduced ventilation to the chimney although i presume the capping at the top has a small vent but can't be sure of this. I am unable yet to inspect the flashing at the stack roof interface however the attached photo inside the loft shows the chimney wall's condition.

It is worth mentioning the following:

weather has been largely dry and warm for 4 weeks preceeding the inspection.

the other chimneys appear to be fine, low readings on the damp meter and no physical signs of dampness.

The other two chimneys start in the reception rooms on the ground floor and rise through the bedrooms on the first floor and through the pitched roof. These chimneys' wall inside face (facing the rooms) is flush with the room's wall inside face (i.e chimneys project outside the external wall when viewed from outside the house). This is the opposite to the one having damp problem. This is just an observation and most likely has nothing to do with the cause of the problem.

I would appreciate your thoughts as to the cause and how this can be resolved and at what cost roughly. Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
View media item 33371
The flue will need vented top and bottom.

The leadwork around the stack should be checked as well.

A picture of the chimneyhead from roof level will give a better idea of the problem.

Thanks Alastair, can you please advise on the size and location of the two ventilation points.

I presume they should be similar in area to a ventilation brick (possibly similar number of holes if drilled into the chimney wall)? would it be ok to drill a large hole say 50mm diameter and cover with a mesh to stop birds/debris getting into it?

Where should they be located: outer face of the chimney wall . Would it be ok if the low ventilation is say 0.5m above lowest level of chimney and the high one 0.5m above the leadwork?

I would take the ridge tile off the chimneyhead put a can on and one of these.

Vented terminal...or elephants foot.

Fit a 9x6" Plaster vent at low level...where the flue was.

You should still get the stack checked over, lead etc.

Sponsored Links
would it be better to have the low level vent on the outside of the chimney wall or on the inside face (room side)? considering this is an external wall.

Thanks Alastair. I think based on yours and others responses i have a good plan for dealing with the problem, I am hoping that the workmanship delivers the required quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back