Damp/ Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am looking for advice please. I have damp (or condensation) in my front two bedrooms. It seems to be up in the corners of the rooms where the airbricks originally were. They were blocked up on the inside only, many years ago as we live on a busy road. Since then double glazing and central heating has been fitted and I was wondering if it would be worth blocking up the outside as well.

Sponsored Links
is there any way of checking how they were blocked up. If they just had plasterboard over the top this could account for the damp you are getting. Do your windows have trickle vents? All rooms need air of some kind flowing through otherwise damp will cause problems.

Windows don't have vents and the room vents look like they have been skimmed over as you wouldn't know they were there unless you looked outside. The walls are block construction.

Sponsored Links
they should have been sealed before they were skimmed over best way would be to crack the plaster off, seal the vents and then reskim over but I would suggest leaving one of them open still and fit an open shut vent to the inside...
other way would be to seal from the outside
If i was doing it i would take off the plaster. take out the airbrick and rebrick the hole then make good.
Does the house have cavity insulation.. If so were the airbricks sleved?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back