Damp course fail.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick shed, built on a concrete slab.

When it was first built in the 90's the water came through straight away and builder came back and added a fillet to bridge the DPC. It didn't work and seemed to only be the back wall affected, finding the slab wasn't level I chipped away the 2" beyond the wall so the water couldn't run to the wall and all seemed to be well.

Pic of the front corner:
upload_2021-5-11_16-10-33.jpeg

Having a big sort out recently I've removed loads of the accumulated crud and found the floor is very wet along part of the wall to the left, it's obvious the rain gets under the DPC.

I've thought about silicon sealant but it doesn't feel like the right solution.

This has to be something that crops up, what do others do?

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that's a pic of the outside, in which case the dpc should be ideally at least 150 mm above exterior ground level.

On the inside, it's fine to have the dpc level with the floor, but not on the outside.

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming that's a pic of the outside, in which case the dpc should be ideally at least 150 mm above exterior ground level.
Yes outside, also:
upload_2021-5-11_16-46-45.jpeg

Basicallt this shows a triangular step. roughly 75mm AGL and the slab 75mm above that. the whole slab slopes down directly left of pic. The lighter colour strip on the left was added last year to stop the gap filling with dead leaves and animal poo, it drops down steeper than the slab.
Other than chopping the slab away (like I did on the back wall) there's not much I can do about the design.

Was the slab always there?
I'm guessing it's a design flaw, and you're kind of stuck with it.
If you add a filet of cement to the outside, you're bridging the dpc.

Was the slab always there?
I'm guessing it's a design flaw, and you're kind of stuck with it.
If you add a filet of cement to the outside, you're bridging the dpc.
The slab was there when we purchased the house, there was a shoddy timber framewith the slab poured around it, ie the posts were set in the slab. Sheeted with corrugated clear plastic roof panels. Estate agents described it as shed requiring attention in reality it was more like a greenhouse.
We had 3 builders quotes and all said they'd brick build in the same manner.

After the initial trouble it was dry for ages. As can be seen we have a 100 roof tiles and matching peg tiles following a little building roof for 12 years so we lost sight of the floor under the bench since then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back