Damp/drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a damp interiour wall and i belive it is due to the patio outside being about two foot higher than the interiour floor height, i was considering puting dranage along the wall with the patio on which toutches the wall.
Which sort of drain should i install, a surface drain or a french drain, the patio that goes alomg the wall slopes so i was unawhare if i could install a surface drain and althought it wpuld drain away more of the water i fear the water will just go underneath the surface drain and make its way to the wall. I am now thinking french drain and some form of tanking on the small patch of wall.
There is a type of pebal dash on the outside which i dont think breaths but i will strip back to brick/stone on inside and either leave bare or get breathabpe lime morta put on.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated thankyou
Ps. If it is needed i could provide a drawring on orientation of wall and patio

Sponsored Links
Pictures would help,

A surface drain itself will not prevent damp from underneath the patio “bridging” the dpc of the house wall, physical separation is required, or a membrane of some kind that prevents the damp transferring through.

Blup

Ahh ok so digging down to dpc and then putting some type of tanking on the wall from the dpc up the wall would be the solution, and then a ground/french drain to take the exsess away, ill provide photos later.
Thankyou

The image with the steps shows the interiour floor height and the images with the planters on is the patio area belived to be the cause of the damp,

Sponsored Links
The image with the steps shows the interiour floor height and the images with the planters on is the patio area belived to be the cause of the damp,
No images yet. The pebble dash could be no fine type house.

IMG_20220820_122948.jpg

This is the interiour wall maby a foot above the groundlevel outside
Screenshot_20220820_153028_com.whatsapp.jpg

I guess tanking it would be an option, plenty of coats of bitumen., unless you could leave a drainage gap but that might be difficult...

Blup

Dpc looks imo where the steps are. You also have a damaged downspout, which could be the source.

Cant really leave gap as it nabours land thats why i thought tank and frenchdrain

Yea dpc is on the wall about halfway up first step.
Yea fixing downpipe and gutter is on list.
The internal damp due to this is extensive and has been happening for a long time as it looks like its tried to be fixed multiple times internaly. Tharefore my assesment was roof/chimney problems or the raised ground outside. Eitherway having ground higher is never a good thing.
Cheers

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back