Patio Draining to House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just after a bit of assurance that I'm doing the right thing with my patio plan.

The patio will be next to the house and the other side meets the top of a wall, raised from the lawn.
I was initially going to have a fall from the house to the garden so water would drain onto the lawn, but the patio is 3.25m from house to garden so I believe it's too much water to drain on there (plus the lawn gets a bit waterlogged at that end at the moment).

Therefore I plan to have the fall toward the house and install a linear drain along the side of the house. There is an existing drain in the corner of the patio area which I can drain into.

Obviously I will need a slight fall in the linear drain to flow into the existing drain.

I was planning to install the linear drain right next to the house rather than have a row of bricks between the house and drain.

One on "side" of the patio there is a conservatory. Since the water is running down to the house I assume I don't need a drain next to the conservatory foundations as the water will not be standing?

I should point out that the patio will be two or more bricks below the damp proof course, on both the house and conservatory edges.

Does this sound like the best way forwards?
Are there any considerations around a drain being next to the foundations of the house? I assume not, I've seen suggestions on the paving expert site that it would be fine.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello,

If you don't mind me asking what did you end up doing, I have the exact same scenario.

With thanks,
FM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back