Damp external wall under flat roof?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
We viewed a house last week and are considering putting an offer in. I’ve been scrutinising the photos online tonight and noticed that under the flat roof the outside of the wall looks pretty dark in places. Is this likely to be damp? Pic attached.

The kitchen is under the flat roof and has units and tiling mostly covering the walls.

I’ve also attached the picture of the ceiling under the flat roof which looks pretty patchy to me when zooming in.

Last but not least over on the far side of the back wall there seems to be another dark patch (circled).

Any opinions what what these might be if not damp?

Attachments

• CA31BE96-4D13-4022-85F7-772FE30BC431.jpeg
    CA31BE96-4D13-4022-85F7-772FE30BC431.jpeg
    903.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 492668B2-DAB9-4345-A5C5-E7E709F14116.jpeg
    492668B2-DAB9-4345-A5C5-E7E709F14116.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 96
  • E243869F-2BD9-4321-AC39-99D43E3CED1E.jpeg
    E243869F-2BD9-4321-AC39-99D43E3CED1E.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 104
Sponsored Links
Judging from the huge window reveals it looks like it’s had 4 inches of external insulation. They will have taken the gutter off to allow for the increase in space and not put anything back. The water appears to be gutter related but without being there it’s hard to tell exactly.
The shadow under the eaves is just a weathering shadow but again don’t quote me on it.

If it’s the house for you then get a decent survey, those insulated jobbies always get water ingress around windows and places. Btw neighbours Lego dormer looks shyte. Don’t ever have that fitted.

good luck!

Judging from the huge window reveals it looks like it’s had 4 inches of external insulation. They will have taken the gutter off to allow for the increase in space and not put anything back. The water appears to be gutter related but without being there it’s hard to tell exactly.
The shadow under the eaves is just a weathering shadow but again don’t quote me on it.

If it’s the house for you then get a decent survey, those insulated jobbies always get water ingress around windows and places. Btw neighbours Lego dormer looks shyte. Don’t ever have that fitted.

good luck!

Thanks for taking a look. I hadn’t noticed the deep window reveals before you mentioned them. Im doubtful that could be external insulation however as the EPC rating is an F and there is no mention of it on the accompanying report and it actually recommends insulating the walls.

Could we just attach a new piece of guttering around the flat roof and join it up with the existing downpipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back