Damp Flank Wall with no effective DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My 1880s end-of-terrace house is suffering with rising damp/rising salts in the flank wall & chimney stacks and I'm stumped over how to fix it.

The house was a mid-terrace until WW2 when the house next door was bombed, so the external flank wall was originally built as an internal party wall. Therefore, the slate DPC is just 1 course above sub-soil level - far too low to be effective.

The external face of the wall was rendered with a sand/cement mix (presumably around 1940) and has a concrete 'upstand' at the wall base which acts as a soakaway.

I've received mixed advice from surveyors and builders. An independent damp surveyor recommended I just use a meshed membrane internally, but I would really like to fix the problem rather than just cover it up. He was concerned that the concrete 'upstand' is of structural significance, but I don't see how or why this would be the case.

I'm interested to hear people's opinions on what to do about it.

My current idea is:

- Remove concrete upstand and install a shallow french drain to reduce ground levels and improve drainage

- Inject Dryzone DPC (cream or rods) 3 courses below internal FFL

- Remove cement render (external) upto new DPC level and tidy up with bellcast bead

- Leave brick walls bare below DPC level, repoint with 3:1 lime sand mortar

- Remove moss from 'shelves' of chimney stack and treat with Stormdry biocide

- Rake out and patch up any cracks in cement render

- Spray entire flank wall with Stormdry (breathable microporous sealer)

The questions I have about the process are:

- Should I inject the DPC internally as well as externally?

- What about the rear wall of the old 'shared' chimney stack which is difficult to reach?

- Dryzone cream or rods?

- Is it ok to have a french drain follow the contours of the chimney stack externally (presumably with flexible pipe)?

- Could a french drain create any issues with subsidence from the ground becoming too dry? The house was probably built with no foundations.

- Who would be the best tradesman to have carry out the work? I'm happy to inject a DPC myself but the rest is a bit beyond me.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Attachments

• IMG_0417.jpg
    IMG_0417.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Flank Wall Sketch.pdf
    112.2 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back