Damp floor and corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just lifted some laminate floor from my dining room and underneath are some lino tiles. There is mould on top of the tiles and damp patches around the floor/wall junction (see pic) where the mortar is crumbling away, this does not go above the damp course. and all the walls are dry.
I want to float an Engineered wood floor over the top of the lino as it looks like a solid flat surface but would like smome advice on the damp.

My thoughts are to clear the crumbling mortar and replace it, treat all the edges with tanking slurry (and primer) and lay a sheet DPM over the tiles, before laying boards and then the floor.
Is this the right thing to do? any thoughts, ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you carefully probe at the slab perimeter gap do you find insulation at the edge of the slab?

No membrane (DPM) can be seen.

The degraded plaster behind the skirting has been in touch with dampness - it needs cutting back to above the DPC.
If, to remove the damaged or damp plaster, you have to go up the wall a little then you could use a deeper skirting to cover the bare brick. Or simply plaster down to just above the DPC level.

No slurry or primer is necessary. Simply flop down the membrane and run it up the walls say 75mm, and into the threshold.

Leave a 10mm min. expansion gap when laying the flooring.

I wouldn't use a "board" sub-floor. I'd simply use underlay (some c/w membranes built in) and then float the floor.

Fix the skirting last - u/coat and gloss the back of the skirting.

I'm sure that others have their, possibly better, ways of doing the job.

If you carefully probe at the slab perimeter gap do you find insulation at the edge of the slab?

No membrane (DPM) can be seen.

The degraded plaster behind the skirting has been in touch with dampness - it needs cutting back to above the DPC.
If, to remove the damaged or damp plaster, you have to go up the wall a little then you could use a deeper skirting to cover the bare brick. Or simply plaster down to just above the DPC level.

No slurry or primer is necessary. Simply flop down the membrane and run it up the walls say 75mm, and into the threshold.

Leave a 10mm min. expansion gap when laying the flooring.

I wouldn't use a "board" sub-floor. I'd simply use underlay (some c/w membranes built in) and then float the floor.

Fix the skirting last - u/coat and gloss the back of the skirting. UK

I'm sure that others have their, possibly better, ways of doing the job.

there is a damp course in the wall, but not between the wall and slab, there is a slight gap where the slab ends but no DPM extending over it.

I am having to use board because I am flooring right through to a kitchen that is a slightly different height (the kitchen floor has been re screeded and is a good surface).

I noticed drilled holes in a couple of bricks - has an injected DPC been installed in the past?
If not where, at what level, is the DPC located?

I didn't suggest that the DPC was "between the wall and slab", i mentioned insulation.

Any installed DPM is below the slab, and will show only at the edges.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, you cant see the dpc very well but it is there (see pic) and is compete, there is no damp above it, all the damp is where the floor joins the wall below the dpc.
cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back