Concrete floor + carpet tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK here's the scene.

Modernish concrete floor with DPM underneath. Surface coated with what appears to be bituminous paint.

Previous owner glued hard lino-type tiles onto that. Next owner put poly liner (dunno what it's called, looks like tissue paper or spiders web!), and then laminate flooring on top.

When I took up laminate flooring, it was a swimming pool underneath. Water, worms, mould, the lot. Then smashed off the lino tiles to get back to the basic bitumen painted concrete surface.

Left it open for 12 months to see what happens, and it appears to be dry, so I assume that all that lot was causing interstitial condensation (?).

I now want to put simple carpet tiles down. However, there's (1) the possibility that the carpet tiles may provoke damp again (the floor is very cold, and I don't know if the carpet tile backing will breath), and (2) there's still the bitumastic (albeit now well covered in dust, so it's not as sticky as it was), which may not get on well chemically with the carpet tile backing. So some liner perhaps.

Thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back