Carpet over Lino over asbestos (?) tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question for everyone.

I currently have a hallway which has a lino floor covering. I had planned to take this up in order to strip the paint from the skirting boards prior to re-painting and with a view to get a nice thick carpet installed in place of the lino (it's a bit cold and gloomy down there!).

However, when taking up the lino I note that the edges are glued to some 9" vinyl tiles which I am assuming have an asbestos content (mid-60s house). Some of them have cracked and broken where I have pulled up the lino edges (but I have replaced the broken bits). To this end I've decided it's probably better to leave the lino in place given that it's doing a good job of covering the tiles.

My question is this: am I able to get underlay and carpet installed over the top of the lino? e.g.:

Carpet
Underlay
Lino
Tiles
Concrete Floor

It seems likely that I'd need to replace the skirting board with something taller if this is to be the case.

As a side note, is it particularly hazardous for me to lift the tiles myself using a heat gun?

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Ok those tiles are most likely part of your damp course - so leave them alone! - older houses are like this by design

Yes there is a small chance of asbestos being in them BUT its a very small chance and you are more likely to die by getting run over

Thanks for that - yes I have left them well alone and I suspect you're right re: the damp proofing! Hopefully there are no issues with having carpet installed atop a lino floor - I'm assuming there's a carpet grip which can be nailed into concrete as glue will definitely not do!

Cheers,
Dave

Sponsored Links
proper job is to glue down the gripper - 24hours before if using liquid nails or same day if using fastgrip

some fitters will use concrete nails but this will damage your sub floor and break up the tiles

....go for sticking it down :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back