Damp garage fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a damp garage and wish to use it for storage. At the moment my stuff gets covered with black mold.

The back and one side are into the garden soil, about 3ft at the front going up to 6ft at the back. The other side is free from soil and has a 6" gap between the neighbours garage.

Can someone please tell me the best, and cheapest way to make a damp proof fix?

I am thinking of using damp proofing sheets from top of the walls and run on the floor and up the other side. Tape them together and then put batons on top and then fix sheets of marine ply to make a floor and walls.

The ceiling I will leave clear for ventilation as there are clear gaps between the roof and walls.

Is that safe and do able??

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
Hi Ian,

There is really only one product that works on damp proofing under ground level. You want to install a waterproof tanking membrane to the internal walls. Same principle as tanking a basement. The membrane is fixed to the walls by drilling 8mm holes every 2 hundred mil, and knocking in plastic plugs. If its under ground level then ideally use a 'p seal' which is a small watertight seal fitted onto the plug. Once lined with the membrane you can then either dot and dab with plasterboard (make sure you order the correct membrane) and skim, or if just for storage leave the membrane visible. You cant pick it up at most builders merchants, normally has to be ordered online. Permaguard are a UK supplier and there prices aren't too bad. The marine ply and fixing batons would take considerably longer. Be sure to damp proof the floor first with visqueen, then overlap with the membrane so there are no gaps. If its a standard height garage then you would want to order a 2 meter high roll of membrane as will be more cost effective. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the very quick reply :)

Stupid question - Should I also add the membrane to the floor?

Sponsored Links
sorry, missed the overlap bit.

Thank you for your help.

I will measure it all up and quote up all the gear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back