Damp Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an external detached concrete sectioned garage with asbestos(like) corrugated roofing sheets and a metal up & over door and concrete floor. It is used to store my classic car in. There are no leaks from the roof so its a dry garage when it rains. However when we get a wet night, the car can be soaking in the morning, like a heavy dew on it, as are all my tools etc on the shelves. I'm assuming this is due to damp air getting in and cooling overnight ?

Having a classic car get damp is not ideal especially as its a roadster so all the clocks and gauges, seats, carpets etc get damp too as well as the exterior.

Is this caused by 1) not enough air flow through the garage or 2) too much air coming into the garage through the various gaps around the door and between the roofing sheets and the top of the concrete walls.

Any suggestions how I can improve it ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends how far you want to go. First thing is to increase your natural ventilation. That's the cheapest option and may be enough to eliminate it alltogether. Otherwise you could consider a circulation fan. There are low watt trickle fans made specifically for that purpose but you are obviously looking at more cost to install and run. Or maybe a dehumidifier. The ordinary types would be useless as they rely on a sealed system to work effectively, but there are absorbtion types made for this type of situation that would probably do the job. wouldn't be cheap though.

Sounds like increased ventilation is the first route. We're not talking Ferrari's here so the solution cost needs to be reasonable.

The problem is all the sides are concrete section and corrugated roof, so fitting something like an inbuilt fan is night on impossible through the 2" walls.

There is a fixed window on one side but its not the side from where the wind predominantly blows. On inspection the rear apex is just a wooden panel I wonder if an old passive Venta Axia fan in there might improve the circulation and it is nearer to the direction of the prevailing wind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back