Damp in a victorian house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I recently bought a victorian house and am in need of some advice. The survey reported damp in the dining room external wall to the rear of the property (back yard), the external wall of the kitchen, again the one that faces the back yard.

I got some quotes in which was going to set me back about £2000. The remedial work was.

Quote 1: Remove plaster, inject wall and replaster.

Quote 2: Remove plaster, inject wall, tanking slurry walls then replaster.

The company who quoted "quote 2" commented that the rear yard had been raised above the damp proof course which was the cause of my problems.

I have already dug the yard up as i am fitting a manhole and want to have some artificial grass fitted. When i dug the yard up i noticed there was a slight water leak on a connector on main water pipe (where the new plastic pipe from the water company meter connected to the lead pipe in the back yard! LEAD PIPE :O). Thankfully i got the leak sorted and the water company replaced all the lead pipe in my yard. God knows how long that had been leaking!

The damp proofing company also noted that the floor right at the bottom of the kitchen, where the pantry and toilet was didn't have a damp proof membrane. I had this dug up and laid a new insulated concrete floor with a damp proofing membrane down.

I also removed the plaster from floor to ceiling as it was not in the best state, and have decided to dry line the walls using 3 inch battens which is wrapped with a dpm with kingspan between the battens.

My question now is, do i really need to get it injected or tanked? I mean, i think ive rectified the two possible culprits of the damp?

Any advice would be great as i want to get the kitchen plasterboarded asap.

Sponsored Links
Damp proof companies always find work, 99% of the time it’s totally pointless , curing the cause of the damp is usually all that’s required.

pulling your wall out with battens is something i'd be cautios about. not only do you lose room but theres all kinds of other knock on effects.
you could just render the walls and leave it at that. lime render will hold back the salts for a long time.

read the related threads below and use the search buton

Sponsored Links
I watched a programme many years ago. A guy who sorts damp problems in old houses pointed out that in 99.9% of cases, the ground outside is too high. Lower the ground, problem solved.

What happens, owners are quick to lay a new path surface without get shot of the old layer, they just build up.

That may be a starting point!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back