Damp in corner of UPVC window - photo link

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photo-0093.jpg

Hi

Looking for some advice please! Have been preparing room for decorating and have done quite a lot of filling holes etc. Was about to put new oak windowboards on when noticed a bit of damp in the corner of two of the windows. I don't remember seeing it before. I've checked outside and whilst there's a small gap in the mastic, which I've gone over with sealant, it looks ok. It doesn't seem to get worse in the rain which makes me think it's not penetrating damp. I've dug out the damp corner - there seemed to be a bit of mortar/debris behind which I've fished out thinking this may be bridging the cavity and allowing damp to cross over. There does appear to be a vertical damp proof course by the window but it stops about 1/2 - 3/4" short of the internal edge of the reveal facing into the room (hope that makes sense!). Could this be the problem? Should I try and put some waterproof membrane of some sort in the bit that is not covered. It's only a small area but didn't want it damaging the oak window boards. Any advice and suggestions greatly welcomed. Photo seems to be v large - first attempt at this so maybe someone can set me straight on that too!

Thanks

Ronnie

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back