Damp investigation advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m looking for some advice on a damp issue I have. We developed our house (1950’s built) a few years back a created a large open plan living/kitchen/dining room. Soon after the work was completed, I noticed dampness on one corner of the room. The wall occasionally feels physically wet up to around 50cm above the floor level. The dampness is restricted to just that corner of the room and has resulted in the paintwork now flaking away from the plaster. The corner is south-east facing. The corner is part of the original 1950’s build. There is no additional staining or residue on the wall, no mould. Nothing. We’ve lived with it for a while now (4+ years) but I want to try and get it resolved and can’t work out if its just condensation related, or if it’s penetrating/rising damp. I checked the wall temperate and it is very cold in the very corner of the wall, around 11C vs. 14/15 as you move further away and 16/17 as you move up the wall.

Appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It might be a combination of penetrating damp and a leaking gutter or pipe, possibly historic. Although south east facing trees or buildings can prevent the sun drying out the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back