Damp issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We had a leak with the boiler and it caused some damage. I have had to remove some plasterboard and plan on putting not plasterboard back. I have since discovered a damp patch on the lower level of brick work.

What should I do before I re plasterboard the wall?

It's a single brick extension that was there when we moved in.

Pictures attached.

Inside.jpg Outisde.jpg

Sponsored Links
Let is dry a long as possible, I would replace with aqua panel or similar over insulation board and tile it. The socket can be brought forward to accommodate the extra depth.

It's not going to dry out, and I don't think the leak is the complete cause of the problem. With all green algae on the outside, I suspect you've bridged the DPC, and got rising damp as well. You need to check out the drain and make sure you've got no splashage up the wall, even though the green goes right round to the door where the drain pipe was leaking.

You need to get the wood off the wall inside, and treat the wall with wood rot treatment to make sure you kill any potential dry rot spores, then let it dry out completely before you reinstate with foil backed plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
You need to determine if the source of that damp was the boiler or if its something else.

With damp walls and timber, if you remove the cause of the damp, then it will dry out of its own accord whether you plaster it or leave it and wont need to worry about rot or mould.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back