Damp loft - ridge tiles to blame ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some damp problems in the loft - thought initially it was condensation but on further investigation I can see light at the apex of the roof in a couple of places. Obvious culprit is loose ridge tiles - does this sound right ?

What ballpark should I be looking to pay to fix ? presuming its remove old tiles, replace / fix liner, fit new / replace old tiles if sound ?

Before I knew what the issue was I had a quote for some repointing work (avg 4 bed detached in South Bucks) of £1000 for scaffolding and £1200 for repointing and replacing some loose tiles - it seemed OTT.

:?:

Sponsored Links
You should get at least 3 quotes.

sounds like an insane price! And what kind of scaffold is he erecting which is going to cost a grand.

Its not uncommon to see daylight at the ridge/eaves depending on the configuration of your roof and tiles.

Are you sure it is not a condensation issue?

I dont believe in repointing full stop. if the ridge , verge or any other muck work is faulty, then rebed the ridge etc etc..

It is so common to see roofs that have had the ridge or hips repointed only to see the following year half the mucks in the gutter.

for the quote you have i would expect a full rebed and maybe cut the lawn too.

I dont believe in repointing full stop. if the ridge , verge or any other muck work is faulty, then rebed the ridge etc etc..

It is so common to see roofs that have had the ridge or hips repointed only to see the following year half the mucks in the gutter.

for the quote you have i would expect a full rebed and maybe cut the lawn too.

Just rechecked the quote and it is for a rebed - actual quote was for £2750 incl labour, materials and VAT plus £1100 for the scaffolding. Complete mickey-take ...

My real question is a ball park estimate for stripping off and re-pointing the ridge line as well as a rebed. I assume scaffolding is not required for ridgeline but would probably be needed for a hips rebed ? Ladder or scaffolding are only options though as house is on a slope with car park leading down via front garden to house below.

Got a local recommended guy coming to price tomorrow for ridgeline only.

Sponsored Links
You should get at least 3 quotes.

sounds like an insane price! And what kind of scaffold is he erecting which is going to cost a grand.

Its not uncommon to see daylight at the ridge/eaves depending on the configuration of your roof and tiles.

Are you sure it is not a condensation issue?

Well the daylight is quite obvious just in one section that has a lot of damp patches - the same area that has gaps between ridge tiles when viewing from outside - rest of tiles are tightly spaced.

Having said that would not rule out condensation

Just a quick update - local recommended roofer rebedded ridge tiles for £200 along roof line about 1 man-days work on a Saturday AM - this was in March this year.

Before the work half the tiles were loose with gaps - afterwards despite many heavy showers I have had no problems with condensation / wet attics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back