Re-laying ridge tiles and repointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I live in a 1930s house and a few of the ridge tiles have come loose. What mix would I use to re-lay them? when I have lifted them off it looks like there are broken tiles in the old mix to fill the area below the tile up. Also I am looking to repoint the lines in between some others as the mortar has deterioted. I was going to mix some black in to darken the mix. Please can someone recommend what to use to darken the mix? Thanks

Sponsored Links
The mix should be 1 in 4.(1 cement, 4 sand)
The broken bits of tile are there to bulk up the mix, that way you will use less mix and to darken the mix, you will need to go to your local builders merchant and get some powder dye. It comes in small packets that you mix in with you sand and cement mix.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Personally i would use a 3/1 sand to cement mix, we always put in black dye(power or liqid) so it doesnt stand out so much, if you have the time take them off and do them all because it you just point up you will be back up there again next year.
Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
The code of practice is to use a 3 to 1 mix. They say to use sharp sand rather then builders sand but TBH you'll end up chasing it down the roof so use builders sand

The code of practice is to use a 3 to 1 mix. They say to use sharp sand rather then builders sand but TBH you'll end up chasing it down the roof so use builders sand

It is possible to mix a hybrid, i.e. add a shovel of sharp to the builders sand per mix. It does help prevent shrinkage cracking when using a thick bed.

Also before bedding/pointing make sure you wet both the ridge and the area you bed you mortar on.This will esure the ridge will bond to roof/pointing.I usa a plant bio bottle for doing this.I use plastering sand 3-1 mix.Dye colour depends on tiles ie teracota=red,black/grey = black etc etc. ;) .

It is possible to mix a hybrid, i.e. add a shovel of sharp to the builders sand per mix. It does help prevent shrinkage cracking when using a thick bed.

Both good advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back