Damp\Mould on wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been looking at a victorian terrace property as a potential investment.

It has no central heating and one room has likely not been heated for a very long time and has a wooden window.

The wall under the window has mould and what looks to be damp as shown in the picture.

Suspect this may be due to the wooden window and no heat being in the room?

Could this be caused by anything else? I can find no leaks around the window.

Presume the plaster will need to be removed and redone once the window replaced and heating in place?

Would appreciate any advice, suggestions and feedback that may help understand the root cause and remedial action to take.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
threads merged. please do not duplicate your posts.
Hi,

I have been looking at a victorian terrace property as a potential investment.

It has no central heating and one room has likely not been heated for a very long time and has a wooden window.

The wall under the window has mould and what looks to be damp as shown in the picture.

Suspect this may be due to the wooden window and no heat being in the room?

Could this be caused by anything else? I can find no leaks around the window.

Presume the plaster will need to be removed and redone once the window replaced and heating in place?

Would appreciate any advice, suggestions and feedback that may help understand the root cause and remedial action to take.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210522_105030.jpg
    20210522_105030.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 87
there is a source of water low down, under the window.

Consider giving us additional information, including photos of the outside that show ground level, the DPC, the roof, gutter, downpipes and drains, the sill, and the top of the windowframe.

These two pictures are the external side of the wall where the damp and mould is showing on the inside.

Attachments

• 20210804_201700.jpg
    20210804_201700.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 20210804_201704.jpg
    20210804_201704.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
This is the top of the wooden window I mentioned previously.

Also a picture of the external view of the wall showing ground level. The area has a slight slope away from the wall so water runs away from the wall.

There is a drain on left side of the wall that was blocked, potentially for a long time. The water that came out of this drain should of ran down the slight slope away from the house though.

Attachments

• 20210804_192925.jpg
    20210804_192925.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210804_192955.jpg
    20210804_192955.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 67

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back