Mould on ceiling / walls/ window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a pretty bad mould build up on a bedroom ceiling. Black specks/little patches keep appearing. Also, on the wooden window frames and concrete window surrounds. I have single glazed windows which I suspect could be part of the problem.

I've tried using a HG mould spray purchased from B&Q:
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/indoor...mescale_removers/HG-Mould-Spray-0-5L-10287856

Also tried the 1/4 bleach and 3/4 water mix as an anti-mould measure

But whatever I use the mould keeps coming back and it's an absolute nightmare to get rid of and then repaint over.

Another thing I've noticed is that the ceiling near the window feels wetter/colder than the ceiling further away from the window. I'm hoping that I don't have a damp problem.

Does anyone know anything I can do/use to get rid of the mould permanently? And to keep it away for good...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should have already seen the light from the replies to your other thread, the only way to get rid of your mould is to remove the cause which sounds very likely to be condensation. No amount of treatment by this or that product or overpainting with this or that paint will ever work. Prevent the condensation, remove the mould.

There are thousands of threads on the forum about condensation, use the search facility. Also JohnD's thread in the Building section of the Wiki is worth a read.

Thanks.

Admittedly I was being a bit lazy as some of the other threads were a few years old.

Cracking link by the way, will try some of the ventilation. I think part of the problem is that we have single glazed windows, no real garden so we tend to dry clothes inside and due to single glazed windows the house is colder so we're reluctant to open windows. Will have a try at some of the suggestions.

Thanks again

ps. If the suggestions don't work, I'll try some of John D's suggestions: don't breathe / dump the missus :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back